POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : something I've been working on (MPEG1, 468KB) : Re: something I've been working on (MPEG1, 468KB) Server Time
1 Jul 2024 04:23:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: something I've been working on (MPEG1, 468KB)
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 13 Oct 2006 15:32:42
Message: <452fe9da@news.povray.org>
Zeger Knaepen wrote:
> I call it a "Particlesystem" ! :)
>
> no, seriously.  I had to make my own particlesystem, because apparently there's no
way to randomize Rune's particle-system (the variable particle_seed is never used, you
might want to look into that, Rune :)) and I couldn't just change it in his code or I
would have to release it under the GPL, which I don't like (GPL is like a virus:
everything that uses something that has it, becomes a GPL'ed thing itself).

> So, the basic principles are the same as in every particle-system: you have a
particle-emitter which, you'll probably never guess, emits particles! :)  those
particles have a starting speed and are affected by outside forces, like gravity.
There's also a possibility to add an environment, and as you can see in this
animation, it's also possible to let the particles "flow" along the surface of the
environment.  It has no particle-particle interaction, so it's impossible to
accurately model fluids with it, but as you can see here, it can produce fluidlike
animations :)

> As with all my include files, it's not yet finished and maybe never will be :-/
> it all depends on how much demand there is for yet another particle system.

Looks nice, especially that fiery animation is great, care to share the
particle's setup (I'm guessing discs with a neatly animated pigment)?

But, I also have to admit that I'm a little sad that you overlooked my
particle-system. It's entirely flexible, you can add as many objects as
you like for interaction, there's no particle-particle-interaction, but
hey, you can call macros for when objects get hit, you can add your own
variables to attach to the macros in case you want to animate them in
some special way with your own macros...

I guess I have to be more offensive about my Include-Files. I need a
better marketing concept...

Regards,
Tim

--